Part-time Branch Library Assistant - Bogart Library
16 hour per week/$8.00 per hour
Current Work Schedule: Tuesdays and Wednesdays 11:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. (30 minute unpaid lunch)
Purpose and Scope
This 16/hrs/wk part-time position ($8/hr) works with other Library Assistants to provide front-line services to library patrons & performs other routine, supportive duties. This position requires dependability, tact, knowledge of library policies & procedures & the ability to work as part of a team. The ability to start, finish or pick up work projects at various points, without direct supervision, is vital. This position reports directly to the Bogart Branch Supervisor.
Minimum Training and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required, with college degree or college experience preferred. At least one year experience working with public is required, with library experience preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training & experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills & abilities for the position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned & job assignments may change in the future, including weekend work assignments.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting with their information questions, readersâ€™ advisory & circulation needs
- Upholds all library policies, including the Patron Responsibilities & Conduct statement; monitors & responds to safety & security of library patrons & campus; reports situations according to outlined procedures
- Assists & instructs library patrons in computer activities, including catalog, database & Internet searching
- Provides support in many areas of daily library operations, including opening & closing the library; basic facility maintenance; organizing & re-shelving materials; accepting fees & fines; routing holds, loans & information; materials processing; & performing basic office duties, including answering telephones
- Works with the Branch Supervisor to plan & implement events, classes, programs, displays, exhibits, bulletin boards, & online publicity
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- May direct operations of the library in the absence of the Manager, being responsible for opening, closing & security of the library
- May train & oversee library volunteers as assigned
- Knowledge of customer service principles & skill in providing customer service to patrons of all ages as well as to co-workers
- Personal computer proficiency & the ability to use, understand & assist patrons with various computer applications
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles & practices & application of ARLS & branch policies, procedures & activities
- Effective communication & interpersonal skills & ability to communicate successfully with patrons & staff
- Ability to maintain simple records & make verbal & written reports
- Organizational skills & the ability to plan & prioritize assignments & activities
- Knowledge of all normal & emergency library building procedures
- Knowledge of basic office principles & skill in performing office and library materials support, including ability to collect cash money & make correct change mentally
- Aptitude for creative projects such displays, crafts, decorations & publicity
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable & punctual attendance
- Ability to walk, climb, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, & crawl in order to handle & manage storage & retrieval of library materials & equipment
- Physical ability to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, photocopy machine & audio/visual equipment.
- Physical ability to move or carry objects or materials; ability to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 pounds force frequently (physical demand requirements are at levels of those of occasional light labor).
- (ADA)Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 20 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of sedentary work.
- Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare &/or judge readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) or data, people, or things.
- Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak &/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving/receiving assignments &/or directions.
- Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of records, notices, lists, manuals & informational documentation, directions, instructions, & methods & procedures. Requires the ability to prepare schedules, records, reports & logs using prescribed formats & conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, & style. Requires the ability to speak to people with poise, voice control, & confidence.
- Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn & understand basic principles & techniques; to acquire & be able to expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation; & to make independent judgment in the absence of management.
- Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record & deliver information, to explain procedures, & to follow oral & written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively & efficiently.
- Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add & subtract totals; multiply & divide & utilize determine percentages.
- Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, & shape, visually with computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment.
- Motor Coordination: May require the ability to coordinate hands & eyes in using a computer, telephone & other office equipment.
- Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items such as computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
- Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate between colors & shades of color.
- Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving & receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk &/or hear: (Talking = expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words). (Hearing = perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online job application to
Position is open until filled.
return to top
Employment applications are available at all Athens Regional Library branches. The application is also available online in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You may either print a copy of this form to bring in person to the library or fill it out on your computer and submit it electronically. For the latter, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0 or higher installed on your computer. This program is available for free at Adobe's website.
Please note: You must SAVE the form to your computer before you submit it electronically. Otherwise the form will be blank when it is opened.
Athens Regional Library System Employment Form
return to top