Bogart Branch Library Supervisor - Bogart Library
40 hours per week - Full Time Position
Salary: $28,000 with benefits
Start Date: Available March 18, 2013
Branch is Open during these hours:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Thursday: 12:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this job is to manage the daily operations of the Bogart Branch Library and to ensure customer service and satisfaction for Bogart Branch Library patrons. The Bogart Branch Library Supervisor provides direct customer service, supervises staff, oversees projects, attends meetings, handles problems and performs additional tasks as assigned. This full time, 40 hour per week, job requires regular day, evening, and the possibility of future weekend work assignments. This position reports to the Oconee County Librarian.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature may be required and assigned and job assignment may change in the future.
- Oversees, plans and implements daily library operations and activities; keeps Oconee County Librarian informed concerning library operations.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting them with all aspects of library service, including information, readers' advisory and computing needs.
- Supervises and accomplishes all elements of materials circulation including check-in/-out, renewals, reserves, transits, notices, patron registration, fines collection, shelving and shelf-reading.
- Serves as communication liaison between Bogart City Council and Oconee County Librarian and ARLS administration.
- Serves as working liaison with the Friends of the Bogart Library organization, assisting in the planning and staging of special events and fundraising activities that benefit the library.
- Plans and presents weekly pre-school storytimes at the library.
- Oversees and/or develops, coordinates and implements public program presentations for all ages at the library, examples include children's story times, computer training classes and civic and cultural events.
- Presents curriculum-based literature programs in Oconee County schools.
- Maintains and submits required reports; works with Oconee County Librarian to ensure efficient delivery of services.
- Monitors computer equipment and network accessibility; reports problems to the Oconee County Library Computer and Information Specialist and works with the staff to resolve problems.
- Maintains an orderly appearance and functional organization of the library.
- Monitors and reports to Oconee County Librarian and Oconee County Facilities Department problems with the building; monitors regular library cleaning and the safety of the library facilities; reports and responds to inquiries regarding service complaints, safety issues and facility concerns.
- Oversees library supplies and maintains required inventory of equipment and resources.
- Oversees recruitment, training and work of library volunteers and substitutes.
- Works with Oconee County Librarian to ensure materials collection meets patrons' needs; makes recommendations for titles and subjects.
- Works within established guidelines to update local library web page.
- Assists in implementing long-range plan for Oconee County Libraries and the Athens Regional Library System services.
- Assists in grant seeking, delivery and reporting to support library activities and service improvements.
- Maintains a positive relationship with local schools, civic groups and the community; participates in community organizations; promotes the Bogart Branch Library's image and programs to the community.
- Attends ARLS staff meetings and training sessions as required.
- Supervises and trains Bogart Branch Library staff and volunteers to ensure ongoing service and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Prioritizes and assigns work.
In collaboration with Oconee County Librarian:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Screens applications for library positions, schedules interviews, assists in conducting personnel interviews and makes hiring recommendations.
- Conducts performance evaluations for assigned staff and makes disciplinary recommendations to Oconee County Librarian.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and skill in providing positive, efficient and professional customer service to patrons of all ages.
- Knowledge of library practices and skill in applying ARLS and Public policies and procedures to library activities, including handling emergency situations and resolving problems successfully.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion and to make independent and critical decisions, using established procedures and practices.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to interact successfully with patrons, staff and all others involved in library activities.
- Skill in program planning and implementation, including public speaking and program presentation techniques appropriate to targeted audiences.
- Ability to assemble information and submit accurate, clear and timely reports and documents.
- Knowledge of Bogart City government and its functions.
- Ability to keep abreast of changes in policy, methods, operations, budget and equipment needs.
- Personal computer proficiency and understanding of automated integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of popular authors, genres and trends in juvenile, young adult and adult publishing; skill in providing reading advice and reference assistance for patrons.
- Thorough knowledge of all normal and emergency building procedures.
- Basic knowledge of educational principles and the role of libraries and information in education.
- Knowledge of basic office principles and skill in performing office duties, including ability to collect cash money and make correct change.
- Aptitude for creative projects such displays, crafts, decorations and publicity.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including computer, telephone and other electronic equipment. Must be able to use body members to work, move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently.
- Must be able to walk, climb, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, & crawl in order to manage a variety of physical environments inside library facility and on library grounds.
Minimum Training and Experience
Customer service and managerial experience required. College degree required. Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test. Electronic employment eligibility verification will be required.
Submit online job application, resume, cover letter, and 3 references to
Position is open until filled.
return to top
Employment applications are available at all Athens Regional Library branches. The application is also available online in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You may either print a copy of this form to bring in person to the library or fill it out on your computer and submit it electronically. For the latter, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0 or higher installed on your computer. This program is available for free at Adobe's website.
Please note: You must SAVE the form to your computer before you submit it electronically. Otherwise the form will be blank when it is opened.
Athens Regional Library System Employment Form
return to top