Branch Grounds Maintenance Worker - Madison County Library
8 hours per week
$8 per hour
Part-time - no benefits
Purpose and Scope
Under supervision of the Branch Manager, this part-time position (8/hrs per week) position performs a variety of labor & maintenance work related to the upkeep of the library grounds & facility; performs other related work as required. Work in this classification is primarily physical in nature. The work schedule for this position will be assigned by the Branch Manager & may sometimes be adjusted according to need. The salary for this position is $8/hr. This position requires dependability, honesty & basic knowledge of grounds-keeping processes.
Typical Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned. Work assignment & duties may change in the future.
- Sweeps, rakes, picks up, & disposes of leaves, litter, & other debris & uses leaf blower.
- Clears areas around facilities of weeds & brush; uses pressure washer and edger.
- Irrigates planted areas; applies fertilizer and weed control products.
- Performs general maintenance of ground covers, including trimming landscaping and spreading pine straw or other groundcover.
- Uses a variety of hand tools & portable power tools in the performance of the work; observes proper safety procedures & rules related to the use of tools & equipment.
- Maintains the work site in a safe condition.
- Keeps simple records of hours worked, work performed, & equipment & materials used; makes verbal reports of conditions & work performed.
- Assists other staff in performing laboring and maintenance duties, including moving, lifting, & cleaning as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to understand & carry out verbal & written instructions & to read labels & signs.
- Ability to maintain simple records & make verbal reports.
- Ability to perform physical maintenance work, including possessing sufficient strength to lift & carry 80-pound bags & to work where noxious plants & insects are present
- Ability to walk, climb, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, & crawl in order to clean & maintain a variety of facility grounds.
- Knowledge of all normal & emergency library building safety procedures.
- Working knowledge of safe use of common hand & power tools.
- Working knowledge of arithmetic & common measurements.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable & punctual attendance.
- Willingness and ability to work out of doors under varying climatic conditions & in potentially allergy-causing environments.
- Must have good color vision & be able to wear respiratory protection equipment.
- Must be able to walk, climb, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, & crawl in order to clean & maintain a variety of facility grounds.
- Must be able to lift & carry material & equipment needed in the course of the work.
- (ADA)Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 20 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of sedentary work.
- Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare &/or judge readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) or data, people, or things.
- Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak &/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving/receiving assignments &/or directions.
- Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of records, notices, lists, manuals & informational documentation, directions, instructions, & methods & procedures. Requires the ability to prepare schedules, records, reports & logs using prescribed formats & conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, & style. Requires the ability to speak to people with poise, voice control, & confidence.
- Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn & understand basic principles & techniques; to acquire & be able to expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation; & to make independent judgment in the absence of management.
- Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record & deliver information, to explain procedures, & to follow oral & written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively & efficiently.
- Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add & subtract totals; multiply & divide & utilize determine percentages.
- Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, & shape, visually with computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment.
- Motor Coordination: May require the ability to coordinate hands & eyes in using a computer, telephone & other office equipment.
- Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items such as computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
- Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate between colors & shades of color.
- Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving & receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk &/or hear: (Talking = expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words). (Hearing = perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Minimum Training & Experience
High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training & experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills & abilities for the position.
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online job application and 3 references to
Deadline: December 7, 2012
return to top
Employment applications are available at all Athens Regional Library branches. The application is also available online in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You may either print a copy of this form to bring in person to the library or fill it out on your computer and submit it electronically. For the latter, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0 or higher installed on your computer. This program is available for free at Adobe's website.
Please note: You must SAVE the form to your computer before you submit it electronically. Otherwise the form will be blank when it is opened.
Athens Regional Library System Employment Form
return to top