Library Branch Custodian - Oglethorpe County Library
Up to 6 hours per week with required daytime and evening hours
$7.25 per hour
Part-time - no benefits
Purpose and Scope
This temporary, part-time (up to 6/hrs/wk; $7.25/hr) position is responsible for daily cleaning & basic maintenance of the facility & entry grounds. Daytime & evening hours will be required, & the working hours for this position may sometimes be adjusted in order to fill-in for other library staff. This position reports directly to the Oglethorpe County Library Branch Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned & job assignments & work schedule are subject to change in the future.
- Cleans interior & exterior of the library as directed by the Branch Manager (includes using cleansers for cleaning rest room; dusting & sanitizing surfaces; cleaning &/or vacuuming floors, porches & sidewalks; litter & trash collection; setting up furniture for events; etc.) & performs basic light maintenance duties.
- Keeps Branch Manager apprised of supply needs.
- Uses a variety of hand tools & portable power tools in the performance of the work; observes proper safety procedures & rules related to the use of tools & equipment.
- Maintains the work site in a safe condition.
- Keeps simple records of hours worked, work performed, & equipment & materials used; makes verbal reports of conditions & work performed.
- Assists other staff in performing laboring & maintenance duties, including moving, lifting, trimming & cleaning as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to understand & carry out verbal & written instructions & to read labels & signs.
- Skill in accomplishing basic custodial tasks.
- Ability to maintain simple records & make verbal reports.
- Ability to perform physical custodial & maintenance work, including possessing sufficient strength to lift & carry 50-pound boxes & to work with chemical cleansers & where noxious plants & insects are present.
- Knowledge of all normal & emergency library building safety procedures.
- Working knowledge of safe use of common hand & power tools.
- Working knowledge of arithmetic & common measurements.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable & punctual attendance.
- Willingness and ability to work out of doors under varying climatic conditions & in potentially allergy-causing environments.
- Has good color vision & is able to wear respiratory & other protective equipment.
- Is able to walk, climb, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, & crawl in order to clean & maintain a variety of facility areas & grounds.
- Is able to lift & carry material & equipment needed in the course of the work.
- (ADA)Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 20 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of sedentary work.
- Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare &/or judge readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) or data, people, or things.
- Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak &/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving/receiving assignments &/or directions.
- Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of records, notices, lists, manuals & informational documentation, directions, instructions, & methods & procedures. Requires the ability to prepare schedules, records, reports & logs using prescribed formats & conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, & style. Requires the ability to speak to people with poise, voice control, & confidence.
- Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn & understand basic principles & techniques; to acquire & be able to expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation; & to make independent judgment in the absence of management.
- Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record & deliver information, to explain procedures, & to follow oral & written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively & efficiently.
- Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add & subtract totals; multiply & divide & utilize determine percentages.
- Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, & shape, visually with computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment.
- Motor Coordination: May require the ability to coordinate hands & eyes in using a computer, telephone & other office equipment.
- Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items such as computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
- Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate between colors & shades of color.
- Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving & receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk &/or hear: (Talking = expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words). (Hearing = perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Minimum Training & Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training & experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills & abilities for the position.
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online job application, and 3 references to
Deadline: Open until filled.
return to top
Employment applications are available at all Athens Regional Library branches. The application is also available online in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You may either print a copy of this form to bring in person to the library or fill it out on your computer and submit it electronically. For the latter, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0 or higher installed on your computer. This program is available for free at Adobe's website.
Please note: You must SAVE the form to your computer before you submit it electronically. Otherwise the form will be blank when it is opened.
Athens Regional Library System Employment Form
return to top