Part-time Young Adult/Audiovisual Department Assistant - Athens-Clarke County Library
The Teen and Audiovisual Services department of the Athens-Clarke County Library has an immediate opening for a part-time desk assistant. We are looking for a creative and enthusiastic team player who:
- has a passion for teen literature
- enjoys working with the public, especially teens
- is knowledgeable and curious about technology and audiovisual equipment
- will assist in the planning, marketing, and presenting of teen programs
Salary: $8/hour, no benefits
Hours: On a week by week basis, the number of hours worked may be fewer than 17 but never more than 17. Requires at least one night per week and one weekend shift per month.
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
Purpose and Scope
This 17-hour per week part-time position provides readers advisory and information services to patrons of all ages, with a specific emphasis on services for teens. Directly assists with the planning and presenting of programs to teens. Provides computer assistance to all patrons and oversees the teen and family computing area. Organizes and re-shelves teen and audiovisual materials. Coordinates use of in-house AV equipment library staff and public use. This position requires dependability, tact, knowledge of library policies and procedures and the ability to work as part of a team. The ability to start, finish, or pick up work projects at various points, without direct supervision, is vital. This position reports directly to the Teen Services Supervisor.
Minimum Training & Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required, with college degree or college experience preferred. At least one year experience working with public is required, with library experience preferred, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position. Athens Regional Library System is an equal opportunity employer and is a drug-free workplace, requiring a pre-employment drug test.
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned, and job assignments and work schedule are subject to change in the future.
- Provides reference services to patrons of all ages, with emphasis on providing services to teens.
- Works with the other departmental staff to plan, implement, and present young adult programs and classes, and to create displays, exhibits, and bulletin boards
- Assists and instructs library patrons in computer activities, including using the library's catalog and databases, the Internet, and basic personal computing programs
- Provides support in many areas of daily departmental operations, including (but not limited to) organizing and re-shelving materials, maintenance of audiovisual materials, and charging for lost or damaged audiovisual materials
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of literature for and by young adults in traditional and emerging formats
- Ability to keep up-to-date with popular culture and technological advances that interest young adults
- Ability to work with people with tact, patience and courtesy.
- Ability to remain calm under busy, stressful conditions.
- Personal computer proficiency and the ability to use, understand and assist patrons with various computer applications
- Ability to train patrons in use of personal computers
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices and application of ARLS policies, procedures, and activities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate successfully with patrons and staff
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize assignments and activities
- Aptitude for creative projects such displays, crafts, decorations and publicity
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance
- Knowledge of all normal and emergency library building procedures
- Physical ability to regularly & routinely operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer with keyboard, telephone, photocopy machine & audio/visual equipment
- Physical ability to move or carry objects or materials; ability to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 pounds force frequently (physical demand requirements are at levels of those of occasional light labor).
- (ADA)Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of sedentary work.
- Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare &/or judge readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) or data, people, or things.
- Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak &/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving/receiving assignments &/or directions.
- Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of records, notices, lists, manuals & informational documentation, directions, instructions, & methods & procedures. Requires the ability to prepare schedules, records, reports & logs using prescribed formats & conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, & style. Requires the ability to speak to people with poise, voice control, & confidence.
- Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn & understand basic principles & techniques; to acquire & be able to expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation; & to make independent judgment in the absence of management.
- Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record & deliver information, to explain procedures, & to follow oral & written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively & efficiently.
- Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add & subtract totals; multiply & divide & utilize determine percentages.
- Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, & shape, visually with computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment.
- Motor Coordination: May require the ability to coordinate hands & eyes in using a computer, telephone & other office equipment.
- Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items such as computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
- Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate between colors & shades of color.
- Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving & receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk &/or hear: (Talking = expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words). (Hearing = perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online job application to apply for this position.
return to top