A MONTHLY NEWSLETTER OF THE
SPECIAL NEEDS LIBRARY OF NORTHEAST GEORGIA
The Special Needs Library of Northeast Georgia is a part of your public library and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, serving Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Greene, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hancock, Hart, Jackson, Jasper, Madison, Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Putnam, Rabun, Stephens, Walton and White counties. We do not endorse any product or service mentioned in this newsletter.
Phone: 800-531-2063, 706-613-3655
Staff: Stacey Chandler, Lavern Gordon, Claudia Markov, Pete Hayek
Reminder: The Special Needs Library will be closed September 1, 2003, for Labor Day. We hope you have a safe and happy holiday!!
With our new computer system KLAS, it is important to keep the same mailing card with the book it comes on. You may have noticed that some of your books are coming from different subregional libraries in Georgia. Because of this, we want to make sure the books stay with the mailcard that was sent with it. If you have any questions about this, give us call at (706) 613-3655 or 800-531-2063. Thank you for your help and cooperation with this.
Interested in meeting some other visually impaired patrons in
Gwinnett County? If interested, call the Special Needs Library and let us know. You can reach us at (706) 613-3655 or toll free in Georgia at 800-531-2063.
Visually Impaired? Where to go for Help?
VISTAS is now facilitating a support group for persons who are visually impaired. Share with others how you are adjusting to your visual loss. Make new friends while learning new techniques and coping strategies to make the transition to living with low vision or blindness easier. Whether you have recently experienced a loss of some or all of your vision or are congenitally blind, the Visual Support Group can help to provide some answers to many questions you may have. Come join your peers at the Visually Impaired Support Group for an opportunity to network, learn and fellowship. The meetings will be held at VISTAS, located at 999 Gaines School Road. Right now, they are scheduled to meet monthly on Thursday, from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. For more information, call (706) 583-8001.
Only a Summer Love
In the summertime, love is in the air. With these books selected by Reader Advisor Susan Higgins, you will be able to re-live summertime any time of the year. From a sweet and innocent first love to unrequited love or hot and steamy summer romance, you will find it all here in this list of summertime favorites.
- RC 32831 Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts
- RC 34040 Colony: A Novel by Anne Rivers Siddons
- RC 45163 Dancing at the Harvest Moon by K.C. McKinnon
- RC 46302 The House on Coliseum Street by Shirley Ann Grau
- RC 53503 I Hear Adventure Calling by Emilie Loring
- RC 34990 Mr. Hobbs’ Vacation by Edward Streeter
- RC 33059 Object Lessons by Anna Quindlen
- RC 22381 Once Upon a Summer by Janette Oke
- RC 53067 The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evansaa
- RC 47627 Spirit of the Moon by Earl Murray
- RC 38991 The Summer House: A Trilogy by Alice Thomas Ellis
- RC 54691 Summer in Eclipse Bay by Jayne Ann Krentz
- RC 52724 Summer Island: A Novel by Kristin Hannah
- RC 54087 Summer Light by Luanne Rice
- RC 53732 Summer Moon by Jill Marie Landis
- RC 35229 The Summer of Royal Visit by Isabel Colegate
- RC 54843 Summer Pleasures by Nora Roberts
- RC 54986 A Summer To Remember by Mary Balogh
DisabilityInfo.gov is a comprehensive online resource specifically designed to provide people with disabilities access to disability-related information and programs available through the government on numerous subjects, including civil rights, education, employment, housing, health, income support, technology, transportation, and community life. Go to
www.DisabilityInfo.gov for much information.
Together Rx is a prescription savings program that provides savings to eligible Medicare enrollees on more than 150 widely prescribed medicines, right at the pharmacy counter. Multiple pharmaceutical companies participate in Together Rx, each with its individual savings program, which offers approximately 20-40% off the amount you usually pay for prescriptions and, in many cases, substantially more. For more information call 800-865-7211 or go to their website at together-rx.com.
Who knows what will happen when you get in a car? Sometimes you can have a grand adventure, and sometimes it can be downright scary. Check out some of these fiction works highlighted by Reader Advisor Paul Mathews, all involving cars.
- RC 36462 The Powwow Highway by David Seals
- RC 41077 Escape the Night by Richard North Patterson
- RC 33904 Boy’s Life by Robert R. McCammon
- RC 38611 Wild Kat by Karen Kijewski
- RC 51098 The Betsy by Harold Robbins
- RC 18670 Christine by Stephen King
- RC 54687 From a Buick 8 by Stephen King
- RC 31209 The Silver Ghost by Charlotte Macleod
- RC 13838 The Last Convertible by Anton Myrer