A QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER OF
NORTHEAST GEORGIA TALKING BOOK CENTER
We do not endorse any product or service mentioned in this newsletter.
Staff: Claudia Markov, Pete Hayek, Amber Wilkerson,
The Library will be closed on Thursday, November 24th in honor of Thanksgiving. We will also be closed December 23rd, 26th and 27th and January 2nd.
The Talking Book Center continues to focus on outreach to the community so if you would like us to come give a presentation in your town, give us a call at 800-531-2063.
We would like to apologize for any delays in service recently.
Atlanta was in the process of moving during the month of September and this may have caused some delays. The Atlanta Metro Library for Accessible Services is now located on the fourth floor of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library at One Margaret Mitchell Square. Most of the books and materials were moved to the Georgia State Archives in Morrow, GA. So if you notice a new address on a mail card it is probably coming from that location.
The Multiple Choices Center, Athens Council of the Blind and the Athens Heritage Lions Club is sponsoring a Yard Sale, fun/night on Saturday, October 22nd located at 850 Gaines School Road from 8:00AM - 8:00PM. There will be a selection of clothing for the entire family, furniture, kitchen utensils, books, toys and much more.
If you have items you wish to donate, please call 706-549-1020. There will be tickets available (cost to be announced) for food and beverage. Come out and join us for a wonderful fun filled day!
WonderBaby.org, a project funded by Perkins School for the Blind, is dedicated to helping parents of young children with vision impairments as well as children with multiple disabilities. Here you'll find a database of articles written by parents who want to share with others what they've learned about playing with and teaching a blind child, as well as links to meaningful resources and ways to connect with other families.
Let's Talk GCB
We cordially invite you to the GCB conference call. It is held on the fourth Tuesday listed below, from 8:30 PM until 9:30 PM. We would like to extend an invitation to Blind and Low Vision individuals whom are not affiliated with GCB or any other Blind service organization to join us. The phone number is 218-844-3388, and the PIN 58422 (Let's Talk GCB).
October 25: GGDU and GCBL
November 22: Metro Atlanta & At Large Members
Free Braille Class
Free Braille Class for persons who are 55 yrs and older with a visual disability to begin in October. Please call 706-995-2216 to register and reserve your seat. The class is limited to five students. To be held at:
337 S. Milledge Ave. Ste. 114
Athens, GA 30605
Meetings at Multiple Choices
850 Gaines School Rd Athens, GA
The Athens Council of the Blind meetings are held on the fourth Saturday, of every month from 11:00 AM until 1:00 pm.
- Self Advocacy Network meetings are held the first Tuesday of every month at 6:00 pm.
- Athens Heritage Lions Club meets the first Thursday at 12:30 pm and the third Thursday at 6:00 pm.
- GCB Board Meeting- October 29 10:00am - 3:00 pm.
- DB 64960 A Killing Rain by P.J. Parrish VI ST SE
- DB 67919: Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Rain or Shine for grades K-3
- DB 68207 The Gift of Rain: by Twan Eng Tan
- DB 68456 The Rain Before It Falls by Jonathan Coe
- DB 68863 The Ancient Rain: A Dante Mancuso Novel By Domenic Stansberry VI ST SE
- DB 69989 Rain Gods: A Sheriff Hackberry Holland Mystery By James Lee Burke VI ST
- DB 70837 Hard Rain by David Rollins VI ST SE
- DB 70838 Wild Rain by Christine Feehan VI SE
- DB 71633 Stone Rain by Linwood Barclay ST VI
- DB 71684 Dragon Keeper: The Rain Wilds Chronicles, Vol.1
by Robin Hobb VI