A QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER OF THE
SPECIAL NEEDS LIBRARY OF NORTHEAST GEORGIA
We do not endorse any product or service mentioned in this newsletter.
Staff: Claudia Markov, Pete Hayek, Amber Wilkerson, Lavern Gordon and Dorothy Daniel
The Special Needs Library will be closed on November 27th, December 24-26, and January 1st.
Due to state budget cuts, the Insight newsletter will be coming out quarterly instead of monthly. Also some of our staff will be working part-time in other parts of the library, so please bear with us as we make these adjustments.
Fall Senior Expo
There will be a Fall Senior Expo on Wednesday, October 22nd from 10:00-2:00. It will be held in the Oconee County Civic Center in Watkinsville, GA. The sponsor for the Expo is the NE GA Senior Caring Network. All seniors are encouraged to attend this expo, as well as children, family members, or caregivers who play a vital role in caring for senior citizens. Come out and gather information and meet local providers. Enjoy door prizes, entertainment, and refreshments.
Multiple Choices Legislative Forum
Multiple Choices Center for Independent Living, Inc. would like to invite you to a legislative forum at our center on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 from 6:30PM to 9:00PM. They are located at 850 Gaines School Road - Athens, Georgia. They are inviting legislators from our 10 county areas to come and share in discussing issues and concerns that affect individuals with disabilities we serve. Additional funding is needed in Region 8 in order to provide services to the large number of individuals with disabilities who live in this region. The resources of Multiple Choices are inadequate at present to address the needs of this large group of individuals.
Thank you in advance for your participation. Please call 706-549-1020 to RSVP.
Disability Awareness Month
October is Disability Awareness Month. On Tuesday, October 28th the Special Needs Library will be hosting a Disability Awareness Day. We will be showing descriptive videos from 10:00-4:00 and we will also have interactive displays to teach people about disabilities.
NFB Free Cane Program
The NFB will provide a free cane to anyone in the fifty states, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico who is blind or has low vision and who uses or desires to use a white cane in order to travel independently. For more information on the use of the long white cane and the National Federation of the Blind free cane program, please visit
Please make sure all tapes are in their case when you return them. Descriptive videos can no longer be replaced so take extra care when returning them. If you have more than one machine please return the extras to the Special Needs Library, as our supplies are running low.
New Holiday Books
- RC 63886 Behind the Mask by Yangsook Choi for grades K-3
- RC 64862 All Hallow's Eve: Thirteen Stories by V. Van Velde for grades 6-9 &YA
- RC 64163 The Lay of the Land by Richard Ford
- RC 65154 A Great and Godly Adventure: The Pilgrims and the Myth of the First Thanksgiving by Godfrey Hodgson
- RC 63563 Glad Tidings by Debbie MacComber
- RC 64292 A Christmas Secret by Anne Perry
- RC 65254 High Heels and Holidays: A Maggie Kelly Mystery by Kasey Michaels ST
- RC 65427 Comfort and Joy by Fern Michaels
- RC 64912 Celebrate Hanukkah by Deborah Heligman for gr. K-3
- RC 64012 Paula Deen Celebrates: Best Dishes & Best Wishes for the
Best Times of Your Life by Paula Deen
- RC 63372 Henry and Mudge and the Big Sleepover by C. Rylant K-3
- RC 63663 Guide Dog Connections by Norine Labitzke gr 4-7
- RC 64302 For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend by Patricia McConnell
- RC 64524 Gaits of Heaven: A Dog Lover's Mystery by S. Conant ST
- RC 64545 Shaggy Muses: the dogs who inspired Virginia Woolf, Emily Dickinson, etc. by Maureen Ada
- RC 64680 Dog Heroes of Sept. 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs by Nona K. Bauer gr 6-9 & YA
- RC 65346 Merle's Door: Lessons from a Free-thinking Dog by Ted Kerasote
- RC 65383 A Three-Dog Life by Thomas Abigail
- RC 65497 Working Like Dogs: the Service Dog Guidebook by Marcie Davis