A MONTHLY NEWSLETTER OF THE
SPECIAL NEEDS LIBRARY OF NORTHEAST GEORGIA
The Special Needs Library of Northeast Georgia is a part of your public library and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, serving Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Greene, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hancock, Hart, Jackson, Jasper, Madison, Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Putnam, Rabun, Stephens, Walton and White counties. We do not endorse any product or service mentioned in this newsletter.
Staff: Claudia Markov, Pete Hayek, Lavern Gordon, Amber Wilkerson
Fourth of July
The Special Needs Library will be closed on Tuesday, July 4th in honor of Independence Day.
July 26, 2006 is the 16 year anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Multiple Choices Center for Independent Living is having an ADA celebration on July 26, 2006, from 11am-2pm at Southeast Clarke Park on Lexington road. The celebration includes speakers, music, refreshments and more.
As part of this celebration, they are sponsoring a "Creative Expressions Contest". They encourage you to express through poetry, essay, or song what the ADA means to you. Deadline for submissions is July 15, 2006. Prizes will be awarded. You may send entries to:
or fax to 706-549-1060 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org . For questions or additional information, call 706-549-1020 Monday - Friday 9:00AM til 5:00PM.
- Multiple Choices Center for Independent Living
- 999 Gaines School Road
- Athens, Georgia 30605
If You Like That Author…
We are often asked for more books by a patron's favorite author when the patron has unfortunately already read everything that particular author wrote. We're also asked to recommend authors "similar to" or "who write the same kind of thing" as a favorite author. Here are a few samples from the Novelist database a very useful tool for readers. These "read alike" writers may not have exactly the same style or setting as the original authors listed, but contain similar elements and reader appeal.
- If you like-Julie Garwood(Romantic Suspense)
You might like-Linda Howard, J.D. Robb, Linda Castillo, Karen Robards, Elizabeth Lowell
- If you like-John Grisham(Legal Suspense/Thriller)
You might like-Steve Martini, Lisa Scottoline, Brad Meltzer, David Baldacci, Stuart Woods
- If you like-Louis L'Amour(Western/Adventure)
You might like-Douglas C. Jones, Elmer Kelton, Alistair Maclean, Tony Hillerman
- If you like-Jean Plaidy(Historical Fiction)
You might like-Rosalind Miles, Margaret Campbell Barnes, Robin Maxwell, Diane Haeger, Sandra Gulland, Phillipa Gregory
- If you like-Stephen King(Suspense/Horror/Occult)
You might like-Douglas Preston, Dean Koontz, Peter Straub, Dan Simmons
- If you like-William Johnstone(Mountain Men)
You might like-Richard Wheeler, Terry Johnston, Dan Cushman,
Winfred Blevins, Ray Hogan, Stephen Overholser
Georgia Council of the Blind 50th Annual Convention
The 50th Annual Convention of the Georgia Council of the Blind will be held in Savannah at the Desoto Hilton on August 3-6, 2006. They have lots of fun things planned and they are expecting lots of special guests to celebrate this milestone. For more information visit their website at:
Low Vision Support Group
The Low Vision Support Group will not be meeting in July so their next meeting will be August 26, 2006.
We are still getting a lot of books returned with tapes missing. Please be very diligent in trying to get all the tapes back in their cases. If you have any extra tapes you can put them in with another book and we will try to find their proper home. Thanks.
Fourth of July Books
Here's a list of books about July 4th or whose setting is the 4th.
- RC 20181 Fireworks, Picnics and Flags by James Giblin (grades 4-7)
- RC 38933 Doodle Dandy! The complete book of Independence Day
Words by Lynda Graham-Barber(grades 4-7)
- RC 53834 Yankee Doodle Dead by Carolyn G. Hart (mystery)
- RC 10420 Born on the Fourth of July by Ron Kovic (biography)
- RC 47956 Twanged by Carol Higgins Clark (mystery)
- RC 30966 Celebration by Dana Fuller Ross (historical fiction)
- RC 36135 Our Declaration of Independence by Jay Schleifer(grade 2-4)
- RC 54177 Courting Trouble by Lisa Scottoline (suspense)
- RC 10041 The Birth of the United States by Jim Bishop (history)
- RC 44192 Independence Day by Richard Ford (fiction bestseller)