A MONTHLY NEWSLETTER OF THE
SPECIAL NEEDS LIBRARY OF NORTHEAST GEORGIA
The Special Needs Library of Northeast Georgia is a part of your public library and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, serving Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Greene, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hancock, Hart, Jackson, Jasper, Madison, Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Putnam, Rabun, Stephens, Walton and White counties. We do not endorse any product or service mentioned in this newsletter.
Staff: Claudia Markov, Pete Hayek, Lavern Gordon, Amber Wilkerson
Fourth of July
The Special Needs Library will be closed on Tuesday, July 4th in honor of Independence Day.
Vacation Reading Program 2006
Summer is almost here, and it's time for the Vacation Reading Program!
Read 12 or more books this summer and you will win a prize! You can choose your own books or we will select some for you. All cassette and Braille books qualify.
You can also participate in the Vacation Reading Club at your local library. Turn in a list of Talking Books or Braille books you read this summer and you can win prizes and attend special events. Contact your local library for a schedule and more information.
For more information on the Vacation Reading Program call us at 706-613-3655 or 800-531-2063.
- Who: All Special Needs Library patrons 12th grade and younger
- What: Read 12 (or more!) books
- When: June and July 2006
You will be receiving the 2006 Survey from the Special Needs Library in the next few weeks. Please take the time to answer the questions and return the survey. This will help us serve you better. Thank you.
New Descriptive Videos
- DV010347 Batman Begins
- DV010263 Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
- DV010348 Fever Pitch
- DV010340 The Incredibles
- DV010346 Mr. & Mrs. Smith
- DV010349 Polar Express
- DV010337 Ray
- DV010260 Singing in the Rain
- DV010262 Spider-man
- DV010327 The Terminal
Please let us know if you are interested in receiving any of these videos.
Thanks again to Todd Alewine for his kind donation that went towards the purchase of these videos.
Enrichment Audio Resource Services
Enrichment Audio Resource Services(E.A.R.S.) is a nonprofit public charity that provides free audio cassette lesson tapes that teach adaptive daily living skills to the vision impaired and their caregivers. By listening to the lesson tapes, you'll hear uncomplicated, straight-forward ways to help you do the things made difficult by low vision. It provides solutions for safely moving about, making the most of available light and contrasting color, and using your sense of touch to replace information your eyes used to provide. For more information contact E.A.R.S. at 1-800-843-6816 or visit their website www.earsforeyes.org
What better way for your child to spend his or her summer than attending camp? However, if you have a child with a visual impairment, the choices can be very limited. For a great place to begin looking for a camp that fits your child's needs, visit the American Camp Association's website at www.acacamps.org and follow the links to "find a camp."
Below are just a couple of camps to consider:
- Space camp for Interested Visually Impaired Students
A week long camp that takes place at the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama. Call (304)822-4883 or go to www.tsbvi.edu/space
- National Camps for Blind Children/Adults
These camps are affiliated with Christian Record Services and began in 1967 with a single camp at Kulaqua in High Springs, Florida. The camping program has been such a success that they now operate two dozen camps at various locations across the United States and Canada. Call (402)488-0981 or go to www.christianrecord.org
Here is a list of books that have been made into movies.
- RC 55735 The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
- RC 50083 Complete Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- RC 60828 Mr. & Mrs. Smith by Cathy East Dubowski
- RC 50064 Star Wars: Episode 1, the Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks
- RC 53252 The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
- RC 56004 Must Love Dogs by Claire Cook
- RC 51467 The Constant Gardener by John Le Carre
- RC 45008 Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
- RC 38779 Thank You for Smoking by Christopher Buckley
- RJHAP Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
- RC 47260 …Sorcerer's Stone (#1)
- RC 48437 …Chamber of Secrets (#2)
- RC 48772 …Prisoner of Azkaban (#3)
- RC 50228 …Goblet of Fire (#4)