A MONTHLY NEWSLETTER OF THE
SPECIAL NEEDS LIBRARY OF NORTHEAST GEORGIA
The Special Needs Library of Northeast Georgia is a part of your public library and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, serving Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Greene, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hancock, Hart, Jackson, Jasper, Madison, Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Putnam, Rabun, Stephens, Walton and White counties. We do not endorse any product or service mentioned in this newsletter.
Phone: 800-531-2063, 706-613-3655
Staff: Stacey Chandler, Lavern Gordon, Claudia Markov, Pete Hayek
We will be closed on Monday, May 26th for Memorial Day!!
Thanks to those of you who completed the patron surveys that were printed in the April edition of the Insight newsletter. If you haven't had a chance to fill yours out, have misplaced it, or are unable to complete it, please feel free to give our staff a call, and we will help you complete one over the phone. Our phone number is 706-613-3655 or 800-531-2063. The results are still be tallied but comments and answers to some of your questions will be in upcoming newsletters. Many thanks again!!!
Friends Like Me
People with disabilities, including the visually impaired, will find "Friends Like Me" is an easy to use website for meeting friends, making dates and general information. Check them out at www.FriendsLikeMe.org.
Summer Reading Program
Our summer reading club for children ages preschool - seniors in high school will begin on June 1st. All of our younger readers should watch for a special summer reading club packet to arrive in the mail with details. We will monitor your reading through the months of June, July, & August. You will be rewarded with a gift for reading 12 or more books throughout the summer. We also encourage you to join your local libraries for their Summer Reading programs.
All children with special needs are welcome to join the Vacation Reading Program and attend programs in the Athens Regional Library Children's Area. Call ahead to help us accommodate your child's special needs at our programs. There will be a sign language interpreted puppet show on June 12 @ 10 a.m. To find out what programs will be offered this summer and/or to request a sign language interpreter for any of the programs offered, please phone 613-3650, ext. 314 at least 14 days in advance.
VISTAS Resource Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired is sponsoring the following activities in the month of May. For more information, call Peggy Chavis at 706-583-8001.
- May 2 - Lunch and Learn Session, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at First A.M.E. Church (521 Hull Street, Athens)
- May 7 - Lunch and Learn Session, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at First United Methodist Church (327 N. Lumpkin Street, Athens)
- May 15 - Advocacy Meeting, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. at VISTAS
(999 Gaines School Rd., Athens); The presenter is Matthew Oberholtzer with Telesensory. He will be speaking on Low Visual Aids and Closed Circuit Televisions.
- May 16 - May 17 - Sponsored Benefit Outlook tours to Cherokee and Dillsboro, North Carolina. Cost is $110 per person. The cost includes roundtrip bus fare, 1 night's stay in hotel, and tickets for historic Dillsboro tour. For more information, call 706-583-8001. Departing Friday, May 16 at 12:00 p.m. and returning May 17 at 7:30 p.m.
- May 30 - Lunch and Learn, 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. at Greater Bethel A.M.E. Church (140 Rose Street, Athens)
Gardens and Gumshoes Galore
In honor of spring, Reader Advisor Ericka Alten has selected a variety of books featuring gardens for your reading pleasure. Many are mysteries, some are good old-fashioned fiction, but all are best enjoyed while reading outdoors on beautiful spring days!
- Elizabeth and her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim (RC 43013)
- Forget Me Not by Shari MacDonald (43009)
- The Grub-and-Stakers Quilt a Bee by Alicia Craig (RC 32909)
- The Italian Garden by Judith Lennox (RC 40157)
- Second Thyme Around by Katie Fforde (RC 53910)
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (RC 23638)
-for grades 4-7 and older readers of beloved classics
- Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory (RC 50011)
-sequel to Earthly Joys (RC 50010)
- The Walled Garden by Rosemary Enright (RC 38046)
- A Morbid Taste for Bones: The First Chronicle of Brother Cadfael
by Ellis Peters (RC 28174) - call to request the entire series in order
Winterville Retirement Center Announcements
To RSVP or to get directions to the above mentioned events at Winterville Retirement Center, call Brendan Stephens, Outreach Coordinator, at (706) 742-5106. Both events are hosted and sponsored by Winterville Retirement Center.
- Saturday, May 10, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (drop in anytime), Winterville Retirement Center (124 Avery Street, Winterville). Betsy Lauber, from Scrapbookers' Corner, will be offering a free cardmaking workshop. Materials will be provided by Winterville Retirement Center. Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP by May 7th.
- Tuesday, May 20, 7:00 p.m. Danny Daniel will be discussing Long Term Care Insurance at the Winterville Retirement Center. Mr. Daniel has worked with Seniors for over 25 years. He is the producer of several Northeast Georgia Senior Expos, and a 6-year expert in long term care insurance. Refreshments will be provided and a drawing for a gift certificate will be held.